Our mantra : "Trunk is always releasable"
Configuration Management is based on Version Control for Multiple Agile Teams by Henrik Kniberg. Highlights from the document are:
- trunk is always releasable
- all work is done on development branches
- frequent merges from branches back to trunk (when in a releasable state, of course)
- frequent merges from trunk to branches in order to get latest changes from other teams
An example of a workflow in SVN:
- Branch out from trunk
- Name the branch <defect / feature id> ; e.g. branch DEF-1234 used for fixing defect issue DEF-1234. For feature FEA-1234 branch FEA-1234 is created and used for development.
- Do the work
- Develop and test locally
- Verify successful integration test
- Commit the work in SVN
- Merge branch back to trunk